Over the Christmas season, our pets are likely to meet some new hazards amongst the festive fun. From Christmas baubles to wrapping ribbon, turkey bones to batteries, lilies to tree lights, there are many little things to watch out for. Here are a few tips to help your pet avoid any injury this Christmas.
Foods containing raisins/grapes: Dogs are very susceptible to being poisoned by dried fruit products. As there is only a short window to induce vomiting and limit the absorption of the toxins, it is important to contact your vet immediately if you suspect your pet has eaten raisins, grapes, sultanas or currants – in mince pies, christmas cake or pudding.
Flowers: poinsettias are an irritant when ingested and lillies are especially toxic to cats – cut off the stamens to prevent the pollen attaching to their coat and being ingested when grooming. Mistletoe, holly, amarylis and narcissus bulbs are all toxic to dogs and cats, so keep any gifts or decorations well out of reach.
Christmas trees are a seasonal essential: choose non chocolate edibles, and minimise ribbon decorations which can cause a very nasty obstruction in the intestine, if eaten. And don’t put boxes of chocolates under the tree or in reach of any canine family members.
Christmas dinner: the following foods are particularly hazardous to dogs – macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, leeks, shallots and sage & onion stuffing, so take care with all the Christmas abundance around coe Christmas day!